History of Perth Concert Hall
Perth Concert Hall opened its doors in September 2005 with a weekend of signature events giving a flavour of what was to come.
The Royal Scottish National Orchestra represented our classical strand. Legendary percussionist Trilok Gurtu with an ensemble of Perthshire musicians heralded our Home+Away strand of world-traditional combos and Belle & Sebastian flew the flag for top of the range contemporary music. The current Horsecross aims to honour the lively past of its namesake.
The Horsecross area is well-kent locally and has long associations as the buzzing heart of Perth. Before work began on the new Concert Hall, an archaeological dig was carried out. The dig uncovered evidence of a medieval castle, first documented in the 12th century but destroyed by flood in 1209. Other finds included an arched stone bridge, metal objects, leather, wood, pottery, stone and bones, clay-lined tanning pits and stone-lined wells. A series of burials identified a chapel dedicated to St Laurence. This was first mentioned in 1328, and was given to the Dominican friars in 1405. Until the dig, no archaeological evidence of the castle or chapel had existed.
the neighbourhood down the centuries
|13th century||Dominican Friary|
|14th century||Industrial suburb|
|17th century||Horse market|
|18th century||Tanning activity|
|19th-20th century||Pullar dye works|
The dig was carried out by SUAT Limited and funded by Perth & Kinross Council.